Read the Comic
26 Sep 2016 08:27 am
Phew! Sorry this one is so late! Things have been a li'l cray-cray around here getting ready for a new baby and work has been real busy to boot. But here's a preview of the October Patron Postcard! Catch your own copy by pledging $5 on Patreon before the end of the month! Hurry, you've got until this Friday!!
12 Sep 2016 08:22 am
This Saturday I will be in the artist alley at the Provo Library's Get Graphic Festival! That's September 17 from 11am to 1pm. I'll be selling books and artwork and will probably have time for some free sketches. Come say hi!
More details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1376418722386831/
05 Sep 2016 10:01 am
It is time for the second ever Aww, Feathers! Guest Comic event! As I mentioned before, my wife and I are expecting our second child! She's due early November, or possibly late October. Our first daughter was a little bit early, so you never know. Having been through this before, I know we're going to need some time to adjust to having another little one in the house. So I'll be taking a break from updating the comic and filling the space with guest submissions. Our first guest comic event was a smashing success! I'm hoping for at least as many entries this time. It would really be a big help. Don't worry about your skill level; if you have an idea, give it a go! All you need to do is follow these guidelines (they're the same as last time, just restated for convenience and clarity):
- Anyone may submit a guest comic, regardless of whether you've submitted one before.
- Each participant may submit up to three entries. These may be three pages of the same story, or three completely separate pieces.
- Collaborations are allowed (one person could do the art while another does the writing, etc.). If you're looking for a collaborator, leave a comment on this news post. If you're an artist and having trouble finding a collaborator, talk to me. I've got a few ideas I could toss your way. ;-)
- Any skill level and art style is allowed (color or black and white, digital or traditional, realistic or cartoony, etc.). The important thing is that it looks like thought and effort went into its creation.
- Submissions may be page or comic strip format, but each submission should be no bigger than 800 pixels wide by 1200 pixels high and no larger than 5 MB in file size.
- Each entry should feature at least one of the Aww, Feathers! cast, whether they be one of the main characters or a secondary character.
- You may include other characters, even your own, as long as you have the rights to do so.
- Feel free to have fun with the characters and story; entries don't have to be 100% true to the comic. Try not to make it radically different however.
- Remember to keep it family friendly: no profanity, gore, or suggestive themes.
- Please submit your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than October 31, 2016.
- You do not have to submit a Spanish version or translation with your comic. If you'd like to though, you may, and the translated versions will not count towards your 3 entry limit.
- Please do not post your entries anywhere else (deviantArt, your website, etc.) until after it's posted here. We don't want to spoil the surprise!
- By submitting an entry, you grant me permission to post it here, though you maintain the rights to any characters you create. I will include your name and a link to your website (if provided) in the description of your submission. I will not use your submission for any other purpose unless I obtain your permission first.
- Most, if not all entries that follow the rules above will be accepted. However, I have the final say on what gets posted. It's unlikely, but possible that an entry may conflict with future ideas I have for the story for example, and if that's the case I'll let you know, along with possible alterations that would make it acceptable.
If you have any questions, leave a comment or send an email. While not required, I'd love to know if you plan on making one so I get an idea of how many to expect. Thanks so much in advance to anyone who plans to contribute! The more we get, the more updates there will be during the break! Happy Comicking!
03 Sep 2016 04:17 pm
I’ve added a new feature to the Aww, Feathers! website. In a few places around the site you may notice a small banner (like the one to the right). A few pieces of info about this new feature:
Q: Does this mean you’re bringing back ads to the site?
A: No. As long as our minimum Patreon goal is met each month, there will be no 3rd party ads on the site.
Q: What will appear on these banners?
A: These banners will be used for announcements and reminders related to Aww, Feathers! as well as custom messages from patrons.
Q: I don’t like them. Can I hide them?
A: Yes you can. If you’d prefer not to see them, just press the little minus sign (-) above the banner, then click the plus sign (+) to show it again. The website will remember your decision, unless you switch browsers or clear your cache.
Q: Does it track whether I hide or show it?
A: No. The banners use what’s called local storage to keep track of your preference. It doesn’t get sent to me nor is it tracked in any way.
Q: I don’t see any banners/they aren’t working properly.
A: If you have ad blocking software installed, it’s possible it might be blocking this too. Which is cool if that’s what you want, but you might consider whitelisting awwfeathers.com if you want to see them. Another possibility is that the script just isn’t working properly. If you’re experiencing any problems with this feature, please leave me a comment or email me at email@example.com.
Q: What’s this about custom patron messages?
A: There’s a new reward level for Patreon supporters. Those who pledge at least $3 may choose a custom message to have displayed in rotation with the other announcements and messages! It could be a shout-out to a friend, your own catch-phrase, or just about anything you can think of! The only restrictions are it must be G-rated and can’t be advertising or promotional in nature. You may choose to include your name or leave it anonymous. You’re free to discuss any other particulars with me.
If you have any questions or concerns about this new feature, please let me know.
22 Aug 2016 06:11 am
September is almost here, and that means school. Sorry to bring that up! The AF cast is already hard at work with their classes. The September patron postcard shows a small glimpse into the everyday life of one of the girls... do you think that's June or Mally's desk? Anyway, as you can tell, they spent the evening goofing off after a hard day of school, work, and other responsibilities. Get your copy by clicking here
and you'll also be supporting future updates to the comic!
Although it's made me a bit more busy, it feels good to be back to updating every week again! Thanks once again to everyone who has supported on Patreon!
03 Aug 2016 06:06 am
For the past several months, Aww, Feathers! has only been updating three or four times per month. This has always been an important personal project to me, and I plan to keep updating it at least a few times every month, whatever happens. However, it's been my goal to be able to dedicate more time to it than I had previously. In order to achieve that goal while still fulfilling my responsibilities with my job and my family, I needed to see how much interest and support I could gain for the story. Thanks to my wonderful supporters on Patreon, an important milestone has been met.
Aww, Feathers! is now officially back to updating its main storyline every week, and will continue to do so as long as our current funding level is maintained or exceeded. Thank you all so much for helping to make it possible!
So what's next? You may notice that our next goal has already been posted, and that it's a bit further away to reach than previous goals have been. Because I only have so much time to work on Aww, Feathers! more frequent updates will be harder to come by, at least for the time being. However, after our new baby comes in November, there will be some new incentives to help us reach new milestones. And perhaps someday... *stares wistfully into the distance* ...someday... I may be able to work on Aww, Feathers! more full time. Such an apple-pie-in-the-sky dream is still plenty far away, but in the meantime I'm happy to dedicate what time is available to creating a story that I and others love.
For those who are not yet pledging on Patreon, know that I value your readership as well and that your support is also valuable. If you'd like to help in some way here's an assignment for you: find someone you've never shared Aww, Feathers! with, and tell them about it, why you enjoy it, and perhaps even share your favorite page or chapter with them! Seriously, word-of-mouth is one of the best ways to increase an audience. And of course, if your situation allows, consider pledging just a small amount on Patreon. Even less than a dollar! Every pledge--large or small--has helped us reach the point we're at now.
And finally, thank you once again to those who have already pledged their support on Patreon! It's been such a great journey, and it's only getting started! I hope you enjoy the stories that are to come!
28 Jul 2016 05:29 am
Thanks to those who participated in my last minute Fill in the Blanks (FITB) idea! I received three entries, and each one had something I liked about it... so I decided to award a prize to all three! :3 Hey, I can do that! My rules! :P
You can see the entries here. Participants should expect an email from me soon.
This was kinda fun. I think I'd like to have "mini-contests" like this one more often. We'll see. (Oh, and speaking of mini-contests, if you're one of the few that entered my Civil War Giveaway a while back... I haven't forgotten... sorry for taking so long on that! I will get to you soon!)
News Archive >>
23 Jul 2016 09:43 pm
Guess what? You get a chance to participate in the comic creation process! Sorta. I was just working on the first page of the upcoming chapter, and just looking at the expressions and actions without the dialogue made me wonder what people would think was going on. And then I thought, "Why not find out?"
I know this is super last minute, but I want you to take the image above and then fill in the blanks! Make it funny, crazy, dramatic, random, or whatever you want! Just keep it PG, and one entry per person, please. You can download the image above (right click the image and save it) and then add text directly onto it, or just submit the text you would put in each dialogue bubble. Submit your entries to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or just leave a comment. Please have your submissions in by Monday, July 25 at 11:59 PM (Mountain Time). I'll post my favorite ones next week! And the creator of my top favorite will receive one AF postcard of their choice, as a token of my appreciation for humoring my last-minute cray-cray idea.
What are you waiting for? Get to writing!