Updates Tuesdays!

September 28th, 2017, 10:53 pm

So long Jakiro

I hope this isn't to personal to share. If you'd rather skip this update, I won't be offended. tl/dr: We lost a beloved family pet yesterday. The current detour will continue for one more week, and then we'll finally begin a new chapter.

Yesterday we lost a small, scaly member of our family. She may have been a lizard, but we loved her very much.
We adopted Jakiro, the female bearded dragon, about two years ago. She was already about a year old. We loved her immediately, especially our daughter! She was always very calm. She never showed any aggression beyond a sort of annoyed "sigh" when we would put her in her bath or try to give her meds. She loved to just sit in our lap or sometimes on our shoulder, though would often try to scurry down the other side, haha!
A couple months ago her appetite began to diminish. About a month ago we started to grow concerned and took her to the vet. A few tests and medications later, and her condition failed to improve. These past couple weeks were especially difficult. We had to tube feed her in order to get her to eat anything and watch her carefully to see if she kept it down. It was so hard to wonder she was going to make it. Sometimes she would seem to make minor improvements, but then slip back into lethargy.
Finally, yesterday, she became unresponsive. We took her to the vet one last time and there we decided we had done all that we could, and that it was time to let her go. She was put to sleep, and left her sick body behind. Upon examination, her vet determined the cause was an infection that while not uncommon in beardies is difficult to detect, difficult to treat, and had probably been developing for quite some time, maybe even most of her adult life. In short, there wasn't much we could have done for her. But we were comforted to think that we at least provided her with a loving home during her time on this earth.
I think I was affected the most by her sickness. I loved her very much and didn't want her to die, but also didn't want her to suffer needlessly. The stress of the past month or so is part of the reason for the current comic detour. For the most part though, I feel at peace now. I'm glad we at least tried to nurse her back to health. Now she's at rest, and I believe we'll see her again after we've all finished our mortal journey.

The trying events of this week took their toll. I'm sorry for the delay, but I will need one more week to get things back on track. As always though, I won't leave you empty handed; I'll have some material next week to keep you (hopefully) entertained. And no, it's not emoji themed. (Just in case anyone was getting sick of that, haha!) Thank you all so much for your patience.

Comments

Kiba122, September 29th, 2017, 12:18 am

Sorry man So sorry to hear that you lost a family pet but I know how you feel to be honest I lost one to many family pets and I recently just a couple days or so ago lost my great uncle so I don't mind how long it takes for you to calm yourself and do what you need to do ^^

inejwstine, September 29th, 2017, 7:12 am

@Kiba122 Thank you. It really does mean a lot.

WiispNightmare, September 29th, 2017, 3:10 pm

Ahhh... may she rest well...
I too have been in the same boat. Just pull through- know that she wouldn't want you to mope over her (she'd want to sit on your shoulder :3)

Clyde (Guest), September 29th, 2017, 5:04 pm

I’m sorry to hear the loss of your family pet. :(

Casanova (Guest), September 30th, 2017, 6:28 pm

I never had a pet lizard, but I had other pet reptiles to understand what you went through.

for reptiles, it's instinctive not to show any signs of illness or weakness until they are unable to, at which point it's far too late to do anything about it...

Hopefully the Mormons believe in the Rainbow Bridge, so that you and your family can rejoin Jakiro when that time comes.

PossumFlavored, November 6th, 2017, 4:52 pm

Sorry to hear. Prayers your way. Do you plan on getting a new bearded dragon, or are you going to try something else?

EDIT: also, whats some interesting body language she had besides that sigh? Im always curious about that kind of stuff.

inejwstine, November 6th, 2017, 9:15 pm

@PossumFlavored: Other body language? Hm, let's see. When she sat there with her mouth open (as pictured above) that was a sign that she was happy and comfortable. She especially loved to be outside in the sun. She also went through a... what I can only describe as a "moody stage," lol! She would like constantly pace back and forth in her tank and sometimes do the territorial head bob that beardies are sometimes known for.
Other than that, she was pretty chill to be honest. Not very excitable. Which was okay by us.

inejwstine, November 6th, 2017, 9:16 pm

@WiispNightmare Heheh, yeah that's true, she would. :-)